Nov 4, 2007

(Late) Soccer Source Saturday Summary: Several Top Teams Disappoint

My apologies for the dearth of posts this weekend. It was one of those rare occasions when I was preoccupied with other stuff; an engagement party yesterday, a friend visiting and several other items surrounding the NYC marathon (no I'm not running in it but thanks for thinking I could).

Anyway, the one unifying theme of yesterday's games was that several top teams turned in disappointing results. Chief among them Real Madrid, last week's #5 team in the Soccer Source Top 25 ranking of the world's best clubs. Real went down 2-0 to Sevilla, who I thought was supposed to be a team in disarray after their manager Juande Ramos jumped ship to Spurs. Maybe Real bought into that? Seville's Seydou Keita put his team up with a stunning strike 19 minutes in and Luis Fabiano doubled up two minutes later to win the game for the Rojiblancos.

#4 Bayern Munich was another other top 10 club that disappointed, playing Eintracht Frankfurt to a scoreless tie at home. At mid-week, #6 Barcelona also tied a vastly inferior opponent, playing Valladolid 1-1. As I write this, #11 Roma just gave up two second-half goals to Empoli at home. The game ended 2-2. And to think I had just started to believe in Roma...PSV Eindhoven, whom I ranked #13 last week, lost their first Eredivisie game of the season to Michael Bradley's Heerenveen. #16 Liverpool also failed to win their game at Blackburn, settling for a scoreless draw yesterday.

Last but not least, I wouldn't exactly rank this as a disappointment, but I felt Arsenal (who are supposed to be the best team in the world, according to last week's poll) were thoroughly outplayed at Emirates yesterday and probably deserved to lose. So the top 25 appears due for a major shake-up. How major? You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out. There are several games still left to play today as well, including #2 Inter at #10 Juventus...

No comments:

Post a Comment